Recipe by for the love of veggies
A lacto-vegetarian pasta dish using spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and cream cheese to create a thick, delectable tomato sauce. The original recipe only called for cream cheese, canned pasta sauce, spinach, pasta, and parmesan cheese. I added the mushrooms to give the sauce more substance.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
Oh, yum! I made this for dinner last night and we loved it. Changes I made were to use Spaghetti Rigate, 100g of baby spinach leaves which I added right before the tomato sauce, Masterfoods All Purpose Seasoning, extra parmesan, and not having any fennel seeds I had to leave them out. Thank you for a great recipe I will surely make again.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon spike seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat and saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add mushrooms and spinach and saute until heated through.
- Add herbs and spices. Mix well.
- Mix in tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook penne pasta according to package directions in a large pot.
- Drain pasta and return it to the large pot.
- Stir in in parmesan cheese and light cream cheese. Mix well.
- Add prepared sauce to pasta and mix until well combined.
- Serve topped with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note: Spike seasoning can be substituted with another all-purpose seasoning, if desired.