1/4 Photos of Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Penne Pasta
for the love of veggies's Note:
A lacto-vegetarian pasta dish using spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and cream cheese to create a thick, delectable tomato sauce. The original recipe only called for cream cheese, canned pasta sauce, spinach, pasta, and parmesan cheese. I added the mushrooms to give the sauce more substance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon spike seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 1Heat oil in skillet on medium heat and saute onions and garlic until tender.
- 2Add mushrooms and spinach and saute until heated through.
- 3Add herbs and spices. Mix well.
- 4Mix in tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- 5Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, cook penne pasta according to package directions in a large pot.
- 7Drain pasta and return it to the large pot.
- 8Stir in in parmesan cheese and light cream cheese. Mix well.
- 9Add prepared sauce to pasta and mix until well combined.
- 10Serve topped with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 11Note: Spike seasoning can be substituted with another all-purpose seasoning, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Penne Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 427.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: