Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Simple dip great for entertaining. Once you taste it you keep coming back for more. Always a hit at parties.
- 1 (50 g) packet onion soup mix (spring onion continental)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (200 g) can crabmeat, drained
- 4 sliced spring onions
- 1 (400 g) packetfrozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 1 large loaf of round unsliced crusty bread
- Mix powdered soup mix with sour cream and mayonnaise and refrigerate until soup mix softens (this can be done overnight if you like).
- Stir in well the rest of the ingredients.
- Take a large round unsliced bread loaf and cut a big circle from the top. Hollow the cavity out by pressing down on the bread. Make little cuts around the edges of the loaf near the rim of the circle.
- Fill the loaf with the dip. The cuts allow people to tear bread off easily to dip. I usually chop up the bread 'lid' as well as it always gets dipped in and eaten.
Almost skipped this one because of the 3 stars. Lesson learned. Read the reviews before deciding to make or not make. Honestly? This was great! Company thought so too. I do not quite get the reviewer (who gave 1 star) that claims the crab meat was overpowering. Come on man! It's a MAIN ingredient! Anyway, here were a couple of additions I made. See pictures.<br/>1. Added some fresh ground pepper to the mix & to the top of the finished dip.<br/>2. Added large green olives to the top only (not the mix). Why? Hmmm, mainly because I thought it added to the presentation and I LOVE green olives!
My work mates inhaled this at Friday-night drinks. I started to make it the day before it was needed (very important to soften the onion soup mix) and used Recipe #207860. No one found the crab overpowering -- in fact, most had trouble picking the 'secret' ingredient. I wonder whether a previous reviewer added too much crab. By the way, I am famous for dips at work -- and there are already many requests that this dip makes a repeat appearance SOON. Thanks for helping to keep my 'dippy' reputation strong. Update: I reserved some of this dip at home (it makes a big batch). Last night I warmed it and stirred it through hot pasta. Delicious!
I didn't care for this recipe at all even though I usually can't stop eating spinach dip. The crab meat was overpowering and I think I'll just leave the spinach dip to others as always.