Recipe by Lauren Wagner
I am a nutrition fanatic, but I live in New Orleans and like a lot of flavor. This low-fat italian dish has "all dat" and more. The flour-based "cream" sauce provides richness while remaining heart healthy!
Top Review by sbera007
This was a really easy weeknight dinner. I substituted fat free half and half for the milk. I opted for hot chili powder because we like it hot. Also, used fresh spinach sauteed in garlic. Finally, I used whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni. With all that said, I would definitely say this recipe could probably feed 6 people (considering the amount of noodles);however, I would up the chicken to a whole pound. This is very versatile recipe and I look forward to playing with the ingredients. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk (1%)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces rigatoni pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour in a large saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the milk.
- Bring to a boil and whisk in the chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture slightly thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stirring to coat.
- Stir in the milk mixture, cheddar, and parmesan and cook until the cheddar has melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in boiling water until just tender.
- Drain well.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a large bowl, add the rigatoni, and toss to combine.
- Spoon the pasta mixture onto plates and serve.