Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
From Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia: The perfect steakhouse complement to juicy Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon, this creamed spinach rounds out a meal in style.
- 1 lb curly spinach, well washed, thick stems removed, water still clinging to leaves
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place spinach in a large saucepan (3 to 4 quarts) over medium heat (it will be extremely full), and season with salt. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander, and rinse under cold water until completely cooled; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-low; add shallot, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour; cooking, stirring, 1 minute (do not let brown); add 3/4 cup milk. Simmer gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Thin with additional milk, if necessary. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.