Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Just kind of came up with this on my own while looking for a creamed spinach recipe.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, coarsly chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 -2 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- Cook spinach and let drain in a sieve or strainer while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Squeeze out as much water as possible when the spinach is cooled off a bit.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan and saute pine nuts for 1 minute. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove mixture and set aside.
- In saucepan (large enough for all ingredients) add milk and simmer over low heat until just hot. Add cream cheese, nutmeg and parmesan until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter until melted.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons milk with 1 tablespoon flour. Pour half of this into cream sauce and stir until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. If mixture seems thin, then add remaining milk/flour mix and continue to stir until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add onion mix, stir, and add spinach and mix until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Great job coming up with this recipe! I really enjoyed it. I had half of a 10 ounce package left over to I kinda scaled it down to that. I used skim milk, low fat cheese, and margarine with great results. I LOVE the nutmeg in this! It really kicks this dish up a few knotches. Also the pinenuts are a wonderful addition as well. I plan on making this wonderful sauce for all diffrent types of steamed veggies.