Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe goes back years, you may adjust the amount of heat by adjusting the amount of jalapeno peppers that is added, or you can turn up the heat even more by increasing the cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (or use low-sodium chicken broth)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- salt (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, cooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups light cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces American cheese, cubed (Velveeta)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine first nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender stir in beef and 2 cups cream; heat through.
- In a small bowl whisk the flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with bacon just before serving.