Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is was inspired by a mushroom soup I had at an upscale Indian restaurant here in London. I love mushrooms and I really liked how the soup was spiced rather than spicy. That is just how I like spices to be used as I am a heat wimp when it comes to spices. So, I went home and tried to recreate the recipe in my own kitchen and I think I got pretty close. This is low fat and vegan friendly as potatoes are used as the 'creamy' eliminate rather than dairy. Of course, if you are okay with dairy a nice dollop of sour cream drizzled over the top of this when serving would certainly be nice too.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 7 1⁄2 ounces onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cilantro
- 13 1⁄2 ounces potatoes, chopped with skins still on
- 4 ounces carrots, chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in big pan and then add the onion and cook softly for about 5 minutes to allow the onions to soften.
- Add the garam masala and ground cilantro and stir into the onions.
- Add the potato and carrots and just allow to heat through for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the fresh cilantro and either transfer to a blender and blitz under smooth or use a hand held stick blender to whizz it up right there in the pan.
- Return to the heat and add any salt if you think it is needed (I didn't need it) and just heat through again to serve.
Perfect! Now I don't have to miss cream of mushroom soup! I used 2 medium onions, 4 small potatoes, 1 medium carrot, 2 cups sliced mushrooms, and 4 cups vegetable stock. I was out of cilantro so I subbed fresh parsley. Since I am a mushroom lover, I sliced up some extra mushrooms (probably about a cup), sauteed them, and added them to the soup AFTER blending. I also stirred in a little soy milk. When I added the garam masala I wasn't convinced that it would be good in this soup but in the end the flavors were wonderful! This is highly recommended. Reviewed for Veg*an Swap, February 2010.
This was a nice easy soup to make...I made it tonight at the same time as making other dishes for dinner, with the intention of eating it tomorrow. I think it's going to be even better tomorrow. The garam masala I used was fairly strong, wish I had gone a little lighter on that. Thanks for posting...! It's a great cream-like soup that I'm sure I'll make again. ZWT6.