1/1 Photo of Creamy Spaghetti Squash With Sausage and Vegetables
Mary (Chef #440818)'s Note:
I wanted to cook a one dish spaghetti squash meal without using tomatoes. I came up with this colorful creation that is full of veggies. Note: I chose veggies that we had on hand with color in mind. This was a first round try. I might be making changes in the future. It got a thumbs up though, so I'm posting for further reference. (Note: cooking time does not include baking the spaghetti squash)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb Italian sausage (raw or precooked, omit for vegetarian)
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper (cut in strips)
- 1/4 cup diced carrot (for color) (optional)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 tablespoons green onions (for color) (optional)
- 1Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place it cut side down in a baking pan. Cover with foil. Cook at 350 degrees until done (30 -40 minutes in the oven 6-8 minutes in the microwave). (To check for doneness, I just poke it to see if it's soft or that a fork will easily puncture the squash) When cooked the meat of the squash will be stringy and can easily be separated and removed with a fork. Set these aside. (I did mine a day or two before).
- 2Cook Italian sausage until meat is no longer pink. Set aside.
- 3Heat butter in a pan over medium-low heat until bubbly. (NOTE: if there is grease in the pan the amount of butter can be cut in half).
- 4Add diced onions and cook until translucent.
- 5Stir in flour and cook for a minute more.
- 6slowly add milk and vegetable broth while stirring. The sauce will be very thick and will thin out as you add milk. More milk or broth may be added as needed to thin sauce as desired.
- 7Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Steam cut up vegetables as desired or place them in a microwaveable dish and microwave on high until just tender. (approx. 2 minutes).
- 9Gently stir vegetables, squash, and sausage into sauce and heat until bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Spaghetti Squash With Sausage and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.6
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 1719.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 32.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: