Recipe by manderson
I wanted to cook a one dish spaghetti squash meal without using tomatoes. I came up with this colorful creation that is full of veggies. Note: I chose veggies that we had on hand with color in mind. This was a first round try. I might be making changes in the future. It got a thumbs up though, so I'm posting for further reference. (Note: cooking time does not include baking the spaghetti squash)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb Italian sausage (raw or precooked, omit for vegetarian)
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup yellow pepper (cut in strips)
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot (for color) (optional)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 tablespoons green onions (for color) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place it cut side down in a baking pan. Cover with foil. Cook at 350 degrees until done (30 -40 minutes in the oven 6-8 minutes in the microwave). (To check for doneness, I just poke it to see if it's soft or that a fork will easily puncture the squash) When cooked the meat of the squash will be stringy and can easily be separated and removed with a fork. Set these aside. (I did mine a day or two before).
- Cook Italian sausage until meat is no longer pink. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a pan over medium-low heat until bubbly. (NOTE: if there is grease in the pan the amount of butter can be cut in half).
- Add diced onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in flour and cook for a minute more.
- slowly add milk and vegetable broth while stirring. The sauce will be very thick and will thin out as you add milk. More milk or broth may be added as needed to thin sauce as desired.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam cut up vegetables as desired or place them in a microwaveable dish and microwave on high until just tender. (approx. 2 minutes).
- Gently stir vegetables, squash, and sausage into sauce and heat until bubbly.