Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an extreme veggie dish, one of the best squash recipes I have made so far, there is tons of flavor in this dish.. if you don't have all the veggies that are called for in this recipe, just leave them out, but please don't leave out the zucchini, spaghetti squash, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and garlic! This complete recipe is made on top of the stove, except for baking the squash. Bake the spaghetti squash well in advance before making this dish, after that is is mostly chopping. This is well worth the effort to make it is delicious! Although the recipe does not call for this, I sprinkled some mozzeralla cheese on top just before serving instead of the Parmesan, but that of coarse is up to you.
Top Review by noway
I'm not going to give stars for this because I made several changes based on previous reviewers comments and wanting to lighten this dish up. I just wanted to say that I agree with Kittencal that the cream is a must for this dish, as I used fat free half and half instead and it was very bland. Also, I subbed mozzarella for 1/2 the parmesan like a previous review, and that took out quite a bit of flavor, this dish really needs the sharpness that the parmesan adds. I imagine that it is absolutely delicious with the cream, but I probably will not make again using it because I cannot justify all the extra fat and calories. Thanks for posting!
- 1-2 large spaghetti squash, baked and seeds removed
- 236.59 ml butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 340.19 g fresh mushrooms
- 14.79 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 473.18 ml cauliflower florets
- 236.59 ml frozen peas (do not defrost)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 354.88 ml whipping cream (unwhipped use only whipping cream not half and half)
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 4.92 ml dried basil (or to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (not chopped)
- 7 green onions, chopped (can use more or less)
- 15 cherry tomatoes (can use more)
- 473.18 ml grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frypan, melt butter.
- Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft (do not brown).
- Add cauliflower, peas and sliced zucchini; stir to combine.
- Add in cream, chicken stock, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, and simmer until the juice evaporates a bit (about 3 minutes).
- Add in sliced red bell pepper, green onions, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan cheese; combine well and heat thoroughly.
- Using a fork, scrape the strands of squash into a large shallow baking dish or a large serving plate.
- Top immediately with the veggie mixture.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese if desired.