Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was looking for a different way to use some hash browns that needed using. Saw a couple recipes...this is my take on it...because I had Simply Hash Browns Southwestern i decided on a mexican styled soup. I also think this could easily be made in the crockpot...I will try it next time and edit how it went. **Please also note that this is spicy! If you would like a less spicer soup I would recommend using diced tomatoes with green chilies and Taco seasoning packet that is regular not hot and spicy. Although this soup should cook at least 1 1/2 hours...the longer the better! This soup tastes even better the next day. I think it's good...what do you think? ;)
- olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 (20 ounce) bagssimply southwest-style hash browns
- 8 ounces taco-seasoned cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Fiesta nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained (or frozen thawed)
- 4 pinches cumin
- 3 -4 pinches dried chipotle powder
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packethot taco seasoning mix (I use McCormick brand)
- 2 dashes Pickapeppa Sauce (optional)
- black pepper
- In a large stockpot add small amount of olive oil, onion, garlic, pepper to taste and saute lightly.
- Add Hash browns a cook for a few minutes, stirring so as not to brown too much.
- Add Chicken broth and come to boil.
- Turn down heat and add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer at least 1 1/2 hours.
- If the soup is too thick for your liking you can thin it out with either more chicken broth or milk. We like ours nice and thick!
- Optional Toppings:.
- Sour Cream.
- Cheddar Cheese.
- Diced Green Onions, chopped.
- Tortilla Chips.
- Black Olives, diced.
- Dollop of Salsa.