From Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee and Barbara Moseley. Posted for ZWT5, France/Cajun region.
- Combine sugar, syrup, water, and pecans in heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (small amount forms soft ball when dropped into cold water).
- Remove saucepan from heat; add margarine and vanilla.
- Allow candy to cool.
- Whip until mixture gradually changes to lighter color and becomes creamy.
- Drop by tablespoons onto buttered cookie sheet (Push mixture from tablespoon with a teaspoon to hasten dropping before praline becomes too firm to shape).