Recipe by NELady
From Best of the Best from America Cookbook by Gwen McKee and Barbara Moseley. Posted for ZWT5, France/Cajun region.
Top Review by Michelle Berteig
Easy to make and set up perfectly. I used butter instead of margarine. After removing from the heat, the mixture took a long time to cool, but once it did, it set up fast. I love pralines! Made for the Dining Daredevils for ZWT5 Family Picks.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white Karo
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, syrup, water, and pecans in heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (small amount forms soft ball when dropped into cold water).
- Remove saucepan from heat; add margarine and vanilla.
- Allow candy to cool.
- Whip until mixture gradually changes to lighter color and becomes creamy.
- Drop by tablespoons onto buttered cookie sheet (Push mixture from tablespoon with a teaspoon to hasten dropping before praline becomes too firm to shape).