- 500 g smoked cod (if frozen, thaw first)
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced (long slender white & green onions aka green onions)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 500 g of cooked mashed potatoes (made to a medium consistency, too thick or runny and it will either sink or mix with the fish)
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cod in a single layer in a non stick pan, add the spring onions and milk and poach for about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Drain cod and reserve liquid and spring onions. Flake fish, remove any bones and place into a greased casserole dish with the spring onions and top with the boiled egg.
- Melt butter in pan used for poaching fish (who needs more dirty dishes!?), stir in flour and cook over a low heat until mixture bubbles for a minute or so (don't brown), gradually add reserved poaching liquid stirring constantly until it boils and thickens, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over fish and eggs, cover with mashed potato and top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until browned on top.