Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not your traditional has browns. These might take a little extra effort, but they're well worth it. Creamy, cheesy, yummy. Perfect for brunch. (Prep time includes par boiling of potatoes.)
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes or 4 medium white potatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Place on stove over medium-high heat. When water is boiling rapidly, turn off heat, cover pot, and let potatoes sit for 5 minutes. Carefully drain water and cool potatoes. You can refrigerate them, which will take a little while, or run them under cold water for 5-10 minutes (my preferred method).
- Shred potatoes, set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add onions. Cook until bacon is cooked and onions are browned, stirring occasionally, 5-6 minutes.
- Add butter or margarine to skillet and let melt.
- Add shredded potatoes and stir until onions and bacon are evenly distributed among the potatoes. Flatten with the back of the spatula and let sit until bottom is browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over. This does not need to be down perfectly. Cook another 4-5 minutes until potatoes are browned on both sides.
- Add sour cream, cheese, and pepper. Stir until mixed. Flatten potatoes with spatula and cook a few minutes, until browned. Flip. Cook another few minutes. Serve warm.
- Add additional cheese if desired.
These were so good. Hubby asked for "breakfast for dinner" and I had chosen to make this recipe for MY THREE CHEFS game. You should have heard the "yummy sounds!" I cooled the potatoes in ice water for about 10 minutes, then shredded them. I added some extra cheese on top and served with fried eggs. Hubby sprinkled them with cayenne. Delishious! I will make these again for sure!