Recipe by TasteTester
My husband loves this creamy chowder, and it's good for lunchtime or as a light dinner served with focaccia wedges or rolls. It's also super-quick to make and get on the table.
Top Review by mums the word
Our rating is actually 4 1/2*. This could not be easier to make! Super simple, nice flavour and a satisfying lunch or light supper. Served with toasted garlic bread, it was delicious. My only problem was that it curdled when I added the whipping cream. I had cooled the soup down a bit before adding the cream to avoid the curdle, but it still happened. I have had this problem with homemade tomato soup too, sometimes it curdles, sometimes not, so I am not sure if I have done something incorrectly. I will make this again though. Made for Spring Pac 2009. Thx TasteTester!
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 8 ounces medium peeled cooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- black pepper
- slivered fresh basil (optional)
- focaccia bread or roll
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook celery and onion in hot oil just until tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Add shrimp, whipping cream, and water. Cook over medium heat just until hot. Season to taste with pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls; top with basil. Serve with foccacia wedges or rolls, if desired.