Recipe by ruby rodriguez
This is sooo yummy--originally found in Southern Living. I would cut back a bit on the ground red pepper--and a liitle more garlic. Otherwise this is truly delightful!
- 16 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, , thawed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb fresh bay scallop
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- CUT phyllo sheets into 13- x 9-inch rectangles; reserve half of phyllo sheets, keeping covered with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Stack remaining 8 sheets in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish, lightly coating each sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- BAKE on lowest oven rack at 400° for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, and set aside.
- PEEL shrimp, and devein, if desired.
- DRAIN spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
- MELT 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and scallops; cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in cream cheese and next 4 ingredients until blended; remove from heat.
- Stir in spinach.
- MELT remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, whisking constantly; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually add 2 cups half-and-half; cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir flour mixture into shrimp mixture.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- STACK reserved phyllo sheets, coating each sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at long end, and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Unroll each piece, and gently twist; arrange twists in a diamond pattern over casserole.
- BAKE at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Prep: 25 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes, Bake: 19 minutes, Stand: 10 minutes.