Recipe by Diana #2
"Salad Envy": That's what they'll have when you show up at the next potluck with this creamy, colourful and delicious offering. You can tell them it's low in calories too, but they probably won't believe you. :wink: Substitute the shrimp with salmon, tuna or lobster for a different taste experience. Note: After several hours of chilling, the pasta will absorb some of the dressing. To return it to a creamier consistency, simply add one or two tablespoons of salad dressing. Cooking time does not include time for refrigeration. Created for the Craze-E Salad Contest.
Top Review by ~SarahBeth~
Gosh I made this sometime back and I can't believe I forgot to review it! This was absolutely lip smacking good! I used fat free mayo, and whole wheat penne pasta and this was not only delicious but healthy too! I loved the tabasco, lemon and mayo combination -- just creamy tangy and good! Made for Spring into Fruits and Veggies Tag in the Diabetic forum April 2010!
- 2 cups shell pasta, small
- 1 cup small baby shrimp, precooked frozen
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free salad dressing, I prefer the Miracle Whip brand
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 zucchini, 6 - 7-inch long, diced (green or yellow)
- 5 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1 head lettuce, leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta until al-dente. Drain then rinse in cold water. Allow to drain.
- Rinse frozen shrimp under cold running water. Drain, wrap in paper towels and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine salad dressing, tabasco sauce, chives, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest.
- In a large bowl, mix together pasta, frozen peas, zucchini, radishes, onions and dressing mixture.
- Gently toss in the shrimp. Refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
- To serve, line a serving bowl or platter with lettuce leaves. Top with the salad mixture. Garnish, if desired, with rows of radish slices, chopped chives and/or shrimp.