Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for seafood a la King can be served as a chowder, over basmati rice, in puff pastries, or simply over toasted English muffins. Any way you serve it, it is delicious.
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams, in juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) jartraditional alfredo sauce
- 3 tablespoons snipped green onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup minced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 8 ounces cooked shelled deli shrimp
- 8 ounces cooked chunked imitation crabmeat
Directions See How It's Made
- INTO a 4-quart pot, add 2 medium bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice, the strained juice from 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams in juice (reserve clams and set aside), and 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth.
- ADD 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion (and if desired, a few pre-cooked bacon crumbles); BRING to a boil.
- REDUCE heat to medium; COVER.
- COOK for 7 minutes, or until potatoes are firm-tender.
- UNCOVER; ADD 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes and 1 (15-16 ounce) jar traditional Alfredo sauce; MIX well.
- REDUCE heat to medium-low; STIR in reserved clams, 3 tablespoons snipped green onions, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and 1/2 cup canned coconut milk.
- POUR 2 cups whole milk into a medium bowl; WHISK 1/4 cup flour gradually into milk, blending well; STIR slurry into pot slowly, while stirring rigorously.
- ADD 1/4 cup frozen peas, 1/4 cup minced red peppers, 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning; SIMMER uncovered, stirring as needed, up to 30 minutes, or to desired consistency.
- STIR in 8 ounces pre-cooked deli shrimp; FOLD in 8 ounces cooked chunked imitation crabmeat carefully without breaking up meat; HEAT then carefully fold again; REMOVE bay leaves.
- SERVE warm as a chowder, in pre-baked puff pastry shells, over steamed basmati rice, or over toasted English muffins; GARNISH with fresh cilantro or fresh dill sprigs and/or dill weed; ENJOY!