Recipe by elastigirl
Oh, man. Properly made steel-cut (aka Scottish or Irish) oatmeal will change your opinion about oatmeal. Scottish oatmeal, without the benefit of added fat, comes out creamy and delicious; the trick is the long cooking time. I had mine with milk added and, honestly, it was totally unnecessary. You can also make this in a crockpot; just fix it up before you go to bed and you will wake up to breakfast!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was very easy to put together although I didn't add the fruit as I was afraid it would turn to goo. Instead the raisins were added just before serving. It would help greatly-especially for beginner cooks to indicate the amount of time to cook the oatmeal and what temperature for the crock pot directions. I cooked the oatmeal on LOW for close to 7 1/2 hours and it worked out perfectly. The recipe was doubled in order to use a standard size 3 quart crock pot. I plan to make this again very soon. Thanks for posting.
- 236.59 ml steel cut oats
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 709.77 ml water
- 4.92 ml cinnamon (also good with pumpkin pie spice)
- 78.07 ml dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml light maple syrup
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml golden raisin (optional)
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1.23 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- If you are making this in a crockpot, the first and only step is to throw everything together in a 2-quart crockpot [increase the water to 3-1/2 cups to allow for evaporation]. Okay, now nighty-nite! We'll see you in the morning!
- Otherwise, bring 1 cup milk and 3 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Stir in oats, spices, and raisins.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When cooking is complete, stir in brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, pecans, and salt (don't add the salt with the boil; the oats won't cook right).
- If you are using a crockpot, you may notice that a crust has formed on the bottom of the crock after cooking. This is perfectly normal. You can eat it if you want to, or you can just leave it. Just make sure to transfer the recipe into a resealable bowl and soak your crockpot right away. This stuff will stick like glue if it dries.
- Serve! You can add more fresh or dried fruit, butter, more milk, whathaveyou, but it's awesome all on its own.