Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My recipe for perfectly creamy, cheesy scalloped potatoes is made with (surprise!) natural white cheddar popcorn seasoning.
- 2 lbs peeled white potatoes, sliced thin (use food processor slicer)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons 100% natural seasoning (Kernal Season's White Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried chives or 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Season-All salt
- paprika, to garnish
- NOTE: USE ONLY KERNAL SEASON'S 100% NATURAL WHITE CHEDDAR POPCORN SEASONING (NOT NACHO CHEDDAR FLAVOR!). IF USING SALTED BUTTER, OMIT THE SEASONED SALT, BUT ADD A DASH OF GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER, PAPRIKA, BLACK OR WHITE PEPPER, AND A PINCH OF CELERY SALT, IN STEP 4. (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 350°F; SPRAY a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- SLICE 2 lbs washed white potatoes thinly using a food processor slicer attachment).
- IN a large saucepan melt 1/3 cup unsalted butter over medium heat (use real butter or stick margarine -- not low-fat tub margarine); STIR in 1/3 cup flour and cook for just one minute while stirring (roux will be thick).
- WHISK in 2 1/2 cups whole milk into mixture until smooth, and then the seasonings: 2 1/2 level tablespoons Kernal Season's White Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning, 1/2 tablespoon dried chives (or 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives), 1/2 level teaspoon seasoned salt.
- RAISE heat to high, while whisking constantly.
- WHISK and cook until mixture until thickened and creamy.
- ADD the potatoes to blended sauce mixture; FOLD until evenly combined.
- TRANSFER mixture into greased casserole dish and dust the top with paprika.
- BAKE for 1 hour; ALLOW to set a few minutes before serving.
- SERVE and enjoy!