Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Bon Appétit
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sweet marsala wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 french-bread French baguettes, sliced
- olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Divide butter between 2 heavy large skillets and melt over medium-high heat.
- Divide shallots between skillets; sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Divide mushrooms between skillets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- Divide Marsala between skillets; stir until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Pour 1 cup cream into each skillet; cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine mushrooms in 1 skillet.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover; chill. Before serving, rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more cream if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place bread slices on baking sheets. Brush with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake until beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir parsley into mushroom mixture; transfer to chafing dish.
- Serve with toasts.