Recipe by Lennie
This luscious pasta dish is one I've avoided making recently; it's not exactly a lowfat dinner and I feel guilty serving it to my husband -- neither of us should be eating such a high calorie meal. But it's so, so good! Even though I can't claim it's part of a healthy diet, I hope you try it at least once -- it's a fast, easy dish, after all! I serve this with a simple green salad.
Top Review by emily in massachusettes
This dish was fantastic. I added more garlic, becasue we love it here, and did not have cayenne, but substitued chili powder. Also, I am a vegetarian, so I used seitan instead of traditional sausage and added about 1/4 cup of red onion in with the garlic. It was awesome!!!!
- 1 lb penne pasta (fusilli or ziti could also be used, but I prefer penne)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb sweet mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into small bits)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the penne until al dente; drain well and do NOT rinse.
- After you put the water on to boil, remove sausage meat from the casings, crumble, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cayenne and saute for approximately 30 seconds, then add sausage meat to skillet.
- Cook until sausage meat is no longer pink (about 5 minutes or so).
- Add cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg to skillet and turn heat to high to bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, gently, until the cream reduces and the sauce thickens a bit; it takes about 10 minutes.
- Place cooked penne in a large serving bowl (it's nice if you warm it first) and pour sauce over; add butter and cheese to bowl and combine all well.
- Taste; add more salt and/or pepper if you wish.
- Sprinkle chopped herbs over top and serve.