1/1 Photo of Creamy Sausage and Triple Mustard Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
Comfort food at it's best. Crimini mushrooms are similar to white mushrooms, but are browner with an earthy flavour. If you can't get them you may substitute white mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -12 good quality pork sausage links
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 250 g small cremini mushrooms or 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 300 ml vegetable stock or 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 (142 ml) carton double cream
- 1Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or deep sided frying pan.
- 2Gently fry the sausages until they are golden brown all over; then remove from the casserole.
- 3Add the onion and saute until it softens and becomes nicely golden.
- 4Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the apple chunks, bay leaf, sage and stock.
- 6Bring to the boil, then return the sausages to the casserole.
- 7Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and gently cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8The apple pieces should break down and thicken the stock slightly.
- 9If they are still holding their shape, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon and stir in .
- 10Mix the mustards into the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Pour into the casserole and increase the heat.
- 12Leave the lid off and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- 13Serve with a big bowl of creamy mashed potato or golden saute potatoes and green vegetables such as green beans, wilted spinach, broccoli or peas.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Sausage and Triple Mustard Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 821.8
- Calories from Fat 633
- Total Fat 70.4 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 193.6 mg
- Sodium 1334.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: