Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a summer favorite. Serve with a refreshing cucumber salad, or as a spread for crackers. Cook time equates to 6 hours chilling.
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can red salmon, drained,with skin and round bones removed
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
- 4 teaspoons creamed horseradish
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bread and butter pickles
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat whipping cream
- In a mini food processor, blend salmon with vinegar, then transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk gelatine into hot water with a fork until dissolved.
- When cool, combine gelatine mixture with sugar, mustard, creamed horseradish and mayonnaise, and stir into salmon.
- Then fold the celery, capers, green onions and bread and butter pickles, through the salmon mixture.
- Lastly, lightly whip the cream and add.
- Taste for seasoning and add a smidgen of salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled 4-cup mould.
- Refrigerate for six hours, or until chilled and set.
- To unmould, quickly dip in hot water, then turn upside down onto a serving platter.
I made this for the 2006 OZ/NZ Regional Tour and was delighted with both the appearance and the taste of this mousse. A great blend of flavours. I used brown sugar, red wine vinegar (because that's what I had on hand) and I added 2 cloves of minced garlic. Thank you, Daydream, for a wonderful summer recipe!
wow! excellent flavor! I did have a littel trouble getting it outof the mold. Next time, I think I'll just use a bowl. I wasn't sure what dry English style mustard was, so I just used regular pwdrd mustard, and cut down a little. Great flavor!