Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this quickly prepared soup to your family or to dinner guests. They will thank you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled,diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed, minced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) can pink salmon, with bones,drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and red pepper; cook for about 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, zucchini, chicken broth, 2/3 cup water, dill, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Cover and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, empty salmon onto a plate and mash with fork to break up fish and bones.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch in milk to dissolve.
- Add salmon and milk mixture to saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to simmer; lower heat and bubble gently, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve chowder garnished with scallions and dill.
I'm not a big chowder fan, but this was delicious! So easy to make. I skipped the dill since I don't like it, but had some fresh chopped availa ble for my husband, which he used and loved. Will make this again.
Great chowder! I made a few changes because I was missing a few of the ingredients and the recipe was very forgiving. Instead of zucchini I threw in some carrots; I used canned potatoes that I was trying to figure out what to do with and I used dried dill powder. I did, however use half cream and half milk and it was soooo rich and creamy! This was a great way to use up some of the canned salmon my mom gave me.
UM,UM Delicious. This is a VERY, TASTY, EASY to make chowder.I didn't add the red bell pepper personal preference also used red potatoes instead of the yukon gold. I didn't drain the salmon other than that I made the recipe as stated. DH loved the chowder, so did I. Thank you Geema, I will defintely be making this easy recipe again.