1/2 Photos of Creamy Salmon Bake
The original recipe comes from Australian Good Food and was contributed by a reader and called for 425 grams of Tuna in Oil but as we don't really care for canned tuna I used red salmon (bones and skin as well, drained). After the first making I made a few minor adjustment which I have added as optional ingredients. This is a quick easy recipe that uses pantry staples for during the week. Suggested you serve with a green salad which we did on the first time but much prefer steamed vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 900 g potatoes (waxy, desiree recommended)
- 20 g butter (or margarine)
- 29.58 ml plain flour
- 236.59 ml milk (250ml warmed, I use microwave)
- 415 g salmon (drained and flaked)
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese (120 grams grated)
- 1 spring onion (scallion, finely sliced) (optional)
- 14.79 ml butter (or margarine melted) (optional)
- ground paprika (optional)
- 1Preheat oven o 200C or 180C fan forced.
- 2Grease a 6 cup capacity baking dish.
- 3Cook ptatoes in a large sauepan of salted boiling water, until just starting to soften, depending on the size this could take 6 to 12 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 4Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a saucep[an on medium-low heat and add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute to cook off the flour, gradually whisk in the milk and stir till smooth and thick.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in the salmon and season to taste (if using spring onion add at this stage).
- 6Finely slice potatoes and arrange 2/3 of potato over base of prepared dish and then top with salmon mixture and then remaining potato (overlapping) and brush with melted butter.
- 7Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (or until potatoes have a slight brown tinge), top with cheese and sprinkle with paprika (if using) and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- 8Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Salmon Bake
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.7
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 317.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 34.7 g