Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Get out the pastrami and cheese for this superb rye bread! This bread offers a rich, full flavor that travels easily from the breakfast table to the dinner table. This one is definately a keeper. I hope you think so too!
- 7⁄8 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine according to your manufacturer's directions.
- Success Hints: For a different kind of snack, top with Simple Chutney Cheese Spread (see recipe I posted) This recipe can be made using regular or rapid rise cycles.
Wow, delicious Rye Bread, great flavor, Good texture & a nice big loaf. Rye bread is DH's favorite bread. He loves it toasted. Bev, Thank you sooooo very much for posting the recipe.
By far, the best rye bread recipe I've ever made! Texture was wondeful. It is just delicious. I didn't have molasses so I just used honey. It came out wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.
OUTSTANDING RECIPE! I used the dough cycle and did not put any caraway seeds and added 2 Tblsp. of coffee mate for extra flavor. (I use either coffe mate or powdered milk, whatever I have on hand.) It rose beautifully in the oven with the light on. I always let mine rise a long time, over an hour, as it rises over the pan and the final rising results in a really tall, fluffy loaf of bread. The taste is just fabulous. I will be keeping this recipe!Loved it!!! Thankyou for the post!