Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Get out the pastrami and cheese for this superb rye bread! This bread offers a rich, full flavor that travels easily from the breakfast table to the dinner table. This one is definately a keeper. I hope you think so too!
- 7⁄8 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Combine according to your manufacturer's directions.
- Success Hints: For a different kind of snack, top with Simple Chutney Cheese Spread (see recipe I posted) This recipe can be made using regular or rapid rise cycles.
Wow, delicious Rye Bread, great flavor, Good texture & a nice big loaf. Rye bread is DH's favorite bread. He loves it toasted. Bev, Thank you sooooo very much for posting the recipe.
By far, the best rye bread recipe I've ever made! Texture was wondeful. It is just delicious. I didn't have molasses so I just used honey. It came out wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.
I made the dough in my Kitchenaide, baked as a big fat baguette for 25 minutes at 350. I bake bread all the time and this is about the best bread I've ever made. Fabulous. Used about 2 T olive oil in place of the butter, and 4 t. caraway. Added bread flour last, just until it held together. Other than than, followed recipe to a T. Really, really wonderful stuff.