Recipe by biggord
Great soup for the fall
Top Review by tcanale
Wow! Great soup. Wanted something warm for a cold november day and this hit the spot. Easy to make too. I didn't eve have whipping cream (ahh...the life of a university student) so I just used some milk and it worked out perfectly. mmmm mmmm good.
- 3 lbs yams, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (sweet potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus another
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- grease a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- combine yam, 1 tbsp oil, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper on prepared baking sheet.
- (I mixed everything together in a ziploc bag then put on baking sheet).
- Roast in Pre-heated oven, stirring occasionally, for about 50 minute or until softened and lightly browned.
- Heat extra oil in a large pot or dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minute or until onion is softened and browned.
- (browning the onion helps to give the soup its flavour).
- Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add roasted yams and broth and stir. Process in a blender in 3 to 4 batches until smooth.
- (I used a hand held blender and pureed directly in the pot).
- Return mixture to same pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to med-low.
- Add cream and stir until well combined and hot. season with extra salt and pepper if desired.
- TIP: Soup can be made 1-3 days ahead and stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- To reheat, place in a large pot or dutch oven and stir over med. heat until hot.