A easy soup with tons of great flavor. Healthy and easy to make, this is a warm comforting soup. Rather than bacon or pancetta, I prefer to use diced maple cured ham, sauteed until lightly crispy as a garnish. It has a very light flavor which I think goes great with the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 potato, peeled and diced (I used a large yukon)
- 1 1/4 cups onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (you can add more garlic if you like)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (you can add more if you like the soup a bit thinner)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (to roast the parsnips)
- 3 tablespoons butter (to saute the onion and garlic)
- 1Parsnips -- On a baking sheet, non stick or lined with parchment paper, add the parsnips and drizzle with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Just toss lightly to coat evenly. Roast on the middle shelf in a 400 degree oven. Make sure to stir a couple of times during baking until they get lightly golden brown. They will take around 30 minutes.
- 2Vegetable Base -- In a large soup pot, add the onions, potato, garlic and butter and bring to medium heat. You really want to sweat the onions and soften slowly, you don't want to brown them. They should take 5-7 minutes. Then add in the parsnips, vegetable broth and cook until the parsnips and vegetables are tender.
- 3Puree -- I love to use my immersion blender, but you could certainly use a regular blender to puree the soup. Just work in smaller batches so you don't over fill the blender. Blend until you get the desired texture you like. I like mine with a little texture, but you can puree it all the way smooth if you want.
- 4If you use a blender, return to the pot and add any additional, salt and pepper and the allspice to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes or so on medium low heat.
- 5Garnish -- As the soup is finishing, make your garnish. Ham: In a small sauce pan, saute the ham until lightly crispy. Sour Cream: Mix the sour cream and chives together.
- 6Serve -- A dollop of the sour cream and chives and the crispy ham. ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Roasted Parsnip and Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.1
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 27.4 mg
- Sodium 415.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: