Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food & Wine. Serve with a Napa Valley rose sparkling wine, like Schramberg Winery's 2004 Brut Rose or the NV Domaine Carneros Brut Rose
- 1⁄2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, very finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 1 cup lager beer, such as Budweiser
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 3⁄4 ounces wedges Laughing Cow cheese
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the edamame and cook until tender, about 5 minutes; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until slightly translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Mix the chicken broth with the beer and season generously with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the beer broth to the rice and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the broth, about 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more.
- The rice is done when it’s al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy liquid, about 17 minutes total. Add the edamame and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.