Recipe by Wildflour
Many versions of this...but this is how I make them! Being a meat and potaoes kind of girl, these are just one of my all-time favorite potatoes! The original version just wasn't very creamy.
Top Review by Sobiedaddies
Very good and not too salty IMO. I couldn't stand to wait for the potatoes to thaw, so I tried to compensate by baking longer. I should have waited 80 minutes; some were cooked, some were still al dente. I loved how the ranch flavor wasn't overdone, but I think I'll stick with my tater tot version of this purely for the tot texture. Thanks Wildflour!
- 3 lbs frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of potato soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopes hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup durkee fried onions, to taste (Original or Cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, blend soups and cream cheese.
- Microwave til creamy and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in well, the dressing mix, then fold in 1 cup (half) the shredded cheese, then the potatoes.
- Fold well til all potatoes are coated.
- Pour/spoon into lightly greased 13x9 glass baking dish, mashing down a little, and spreading in pan evenly.
- Sprinkle top with rest of shredded cheese.
- COVER and bake at 350º for 50-55 minutes.
- Uncover, top with onions.
- Bake UNCOVERED for another 5 minutes or til onions are lightly browned.
- *Nice additions:.
- 1 cup diced, fully-cooked ham.
- Cooked, crumbled bacon (4-6 slices).
- Saute'd onions.
- Saute'd mushrooms.