Recipe by yooper
This wonderful rice dish has the texture of risotto without the constant stirring. Taken from the Oct 2002 issue of "Bon Apetit."
Top Review by Lori Mama
I Like the ease of preparation. I added just a bit more lemon juice as per reviewers suggestion. Despite all of the Parmesan cheese, I felt it needed just a bit of salt. Will add some next time. :)
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups arborio rice (12 to 13 ounces) or 2 cups medium grain rice (12 to 13 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 cup packed grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- fresh basil sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot over high heat.
- Add rice and onion.
- Boil until rice is just tender, about 16 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Mix parsley, butter, basil, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl.
- Add hot rice mixture, stir to melt butter.
- Add reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid and 1 cup cheese; stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.