Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced country-style ham (1/4 lb. thick cut)
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, plus extra for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, salt, and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Decrease to a simmer, cover, and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and let it cool, uncovered.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the rice with the ham, peas, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, onion, garlic, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
- Serve with plenty of extra hot sauce to pass at the table.