Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rice pudding is a always a favorite. This version is so delightfully delicious because it is served with layer of berries and almonds in between the pudding, and garnished with cinnamon or nutmeg, finely processed almonds, whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping, or/and fresh mint sprigs. This version is elegant enough for a dinner party when served in chilled fancy dessert cups, champagne glasses or parfait glasses. This is a combination of three different recipes found on Diana's Desserts, I love that site and the desserts turn out just like the pictures - beautifully. I already included the cooling time but didn't include time for cooking the rice, as it varies.
- 2 cups short-grain rice or 2 cups medium grain rice, cooked
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup milk or 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup cream
- 1 pint fresh raspberries or 1 pint fresh strawberries or 1 pint frozen unsweetened raspberries or 1 pint frozen unsweetened strawberries
- finely processed toasted almond
- finely processed toasted almond (optional)
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- whipped cream (optional) or non-dairy whipped topping (optional)
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine condesed milk, egg yolks, water and cinnamon.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixtures thickens slightly, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add cooked rice, raisins(totally optional) and vanilla.
- Let cool at room temperature and chill thoroughly in refrigerator (for at least 2-3 hours).
- As the pudding chills, it will thicken.
- After a few hours in the refrigerator it will be quite thick, and probably no longer loose enough to be called "creamy.".
- Just before serving stir in as much as 1/2 to 2/3 cups of whole milk, half-&-half, or cream.
- To prepare: spoon two heaping tablespoons of rice pudding into bottom of each glass.
- Add four to six berries, depending on size, to form a single layer.
- Top with a few almonds.
- Continue alternating rice and fruit and almonds until glass or cup is filled.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg, ground fine sliced or slivered almonds, whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping, if desired.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint when ready to serve.(Only use at the last minute because if placed in refrigerator for any amount of type, it will get all wilted.).