Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
"There's too much liquid", you're going to say. Trust me....this will work out to be the creamiest rice pudding you've ever made. Stir once in a while to prevent any rice from sticking to the bottom, and use a large pot to avoid the mixture from boiling over. Short grain rice will produce a creamier pudding then brown or long grain. The cooking time may seem long and tedious, but because it cooks at the lowest setting, it does not need constant supervision. Another wonderful recipe from her Heart Smart Cookbook.
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml rice, short-grain is best
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 0.29 ml salt
- 1182.95 ml milk, divided
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice. Cover and return to the boil. Reduce to simmering and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of the milk stirring until smooth.
- Add sugar mixture, remaining 4 cups of milk, nutmeg and raisins to the rice. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to the lowest simmer setting, and cook, covered for 1 - 1-1/2 hours, or until mixture is creamy and tender. Stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm or cold, with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
I rate this zero starts. Utterly terrible. Not enough liquid even after I added more. Never got creamy. Such a disappointment.
You were right, I did think there was too much liquids, but it worked out in the end. The photo is of it after being in the refrigerator for a few days. I kept meaning to take a photo...but that never happened until the end. I ended up sprinkling pumpkin pie spice on it as someone used all of my nutmeg without telling me. Wonder who that was? Made for Lets P-A-R-T-Y 2011 tag.
I made this tonight and it was awesome! I prefer to eat mine cold so its in the refrigerator cooling down. I followed the directions to the T except I didnt have nutmeg so substituted cloves and it was still a hit. Thanks so much, I am sure this will become a favorite dessert of mine now!