Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe appeared on iafrica.com a while ago. I have made it a bit richer by adding more cream and less milk, and adding a caramel topping. A firm favourite with my family.
- 1 liter milk
- 300 ml cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 ml salt
- 80 g plain white rice
- 90 ml sugar
- 80 ml dark brown sugar
- Set aside about 1/2 cup of the milk.
- Heat the rest of the milk and cream and add the cinnamon sticks, rice, salt and lemon zest.
- Simmer gently, while stirring continuously, for 15 minutes.
- Then simmer, uncovered, at the same temperature, for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, stirring it in well, leave to simmer another 40 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add some of the reserved milk is the mixture becomes too thick.
- Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Pour into separate pudding dishes, sprinkle with a little cinnamon powder and about 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar.
- Place under pre-heated grill until sugar bubbles.
- Serve with fresh cream or ice-cream.
- Also goes well with stewed fruit.