Top Review by GoesWithWine
I made a non-dairy version of this easy recipe with almond milk instead of regular milk, and it was delicious. Because I used sweet almond milk from the Italian market, I eliminated the granulated sugar and it was sweet enough. I also used golden raisins, which complemented the almond flavor very well. Try it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and raisins to pan, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to pan; increase heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining milk and egg; cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and extract.