Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes a great side dish. Make certain to bring the cooked rice mixture down to room temperature before adding in the beaten egg whites, and use only cold cooked rice, this is a great recipe to use up any leftover rice. If your rice has been previously salted then omit adding in any salt.
- 1 cup cold cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 large egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- In a heavy saucepan simmer rice and half and half cream or milk with salt over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently until very thick (this should take about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, then 5 egg yolks and the Parmesan cheese; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in green onion and pepper after cooled.
- In a bowl, beat 5 egg whites with a pinch of salt with an electic mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the cooled rice mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until set and golden brown.