Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple old fashioned desert, this recipe was handed down from my Great Grandma and is a family favourite of three generations.
- 600 ml milk (Skim or full cream)
- 1⁄2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 5 tablespoons rice
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Stir over low eat till begins to boil.
- Cover and simmer over VERY LOW heat for 20-30 mins or until the rice is cooked, stirring often.
- WARNING:Boils over very easily if heat is too high!
- Serve warm or chilled.
yum yum yum!! this was a real hit in our house. Followed the directions to a T. Served with a tin of sliced peaches, so easy and so good. Thanks for posting. =)
This was nice cold but very sweet. I may make it again but I think I'd leave the sugar out all together. I think the condenses milk makes it sweet enough.