Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very special breakfast (think Valentine's Day or anniversary). Could also be a lovely dessert. I think this is an outstanding recipe-my whole family enjoys it. The crepes and filling can be made the night before, assembled in the morning and warmed in the oven before adding the topping. Passive work time is for the crepe batter.
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- butter, for skillet
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced (I used frozen, thawed and undrained)
- red food coloring, if desired
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup rhubarb (filling mixture from above)
- Whisk all crepe ingredients until smooth. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter in an 8 inch skillet. Pour in 1/4 cup batter, tilting to cover bottom of pan. Turn once.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- For filling: Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan. Add rhubarb and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened. Cool slightly and add food color. If you use fresh rhubarb you may need to add a little water to the pan.
- Make the topping by beating the cream cheese and the 1/2 cup cooled rhubarb mixture until smooth.
- Place a generous tablespoonful of filling on each crepe. Roll or fold in quarters and arrange on platter. Top with cream cheese topping and serve warm.