Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
The classic ingredients of a Reuben sandwich in a thick and hearty soup!
Make and share this Creamy Reuben Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup unsifted flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon or 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 lb cooked corned beef, shredded
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) package swiss cheese, shredded
- 6 -8 slices rye bread or 6 -8 slices pumpernickel bread, toasted and cut into quarters
- In a large saucepan cook onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in water and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add corned beef, saurkraut, half and half, and 1 cup cheese.
- Cook for 30 minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into 8 oven proof bowls.
- Top each with toasted bread and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts.
Great use for leftover baked corned beef and potatoes. I made half a recipe and added about one horseradish potato also. Loved how tasty and easy it was to make.
I use this same recipe. I got my recipe from Sauerkraut Recipe.com. It really is good.