Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is awesome. Everyone asks for more of this soup.
- 1 gallon chicken broth
- 4 small bay leaves
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained, reserve 1/4 cup juice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 lb chopped corned beef
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat broth to simmer. Add bay leaf. Add sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice. Cook 30 minutes. Remove sauerkraut and set aside. Return liquid to boil, then add milk.
- In small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook about 2 minutes, whisking frequently to create a roux. Gradually add roux to pot to thicken soup, stirring with wooden spoon. Soup should very thick and creamy.
- Return reserved sauerkraut to pot. Add corned beef and pepper. Stir in sour cream. Remove bay leaves. Makes 10 large servings.