Recipe by lcmcallister
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. My love for shrimp and grits runs deep and this recipe by far is my favorite. The first night I made this dish, my husband requested it again 3 nights later. It is comfort food stepped up a notch.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 cups of the water and 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Slowly whisk in the grits and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and continue cooking until the grits are soft and thickened in consistency (about 20-25 minutes). Stir occasionally. Off the heat, stir in Ranch dressing, cheddar cheese and chives. Cover until ready to use.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat on high. Add shallots, garlic, and stir. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. (Monitor closely because the garlic and shallots will burn quickly while on high heat. Adjust heat slightly if needed). Remove shrimp to plate. Add spinach, lemon, and zest to pan in this order. Stir well to coat with remaining oil and goodies left in the pan. Cook just until wilted about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide grits among 4 shallow bowls, top with spinach and then shrimp. Serve while hot.
- Serves 4.