Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
VERY healthy dessert or breakfast. This is the kind of recipe where you like it or you don't... if you do, you're in for a treat (there'd no guilt, it'ts even good for you!!!). The texture is slightly fibrous, due to the quinoa. Can be served warm or cold, l prefer mine partially frozen (I place them in individual cups, then freeze for an hour). Adjust spices to your taste. You can sub the milk for soymilk (if using vanilla flavoured, omit sugar and vanilla from ingredients).
- 1⁄2 cup toasted quinoa (Quinoa-Toasted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 2 -4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 -2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon four mixed spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -4 cups skim milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- Combine the quinoa, the 1-1/2 cup of milk, the cardamom, cloves, 4-spice, cinnamon, and vanilla in a LARGE saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered until quinoa is entirely cooked (the grains should be entirely transparent), about 20 to 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Remove cardamom and cloves. Liquefy in blender with the remaining milk. Pass through a very fine sieve.
- Just before serving, return to blender with the bananas (calculate 1/2 a banana per portion) I live alone, so I usually just take part of quinoa mix and blend some just for me: the quinoa will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.