Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This soup is a great way to kick off fall. It is good hot, but even better served chilled. We always have this on the first day of fall, Halloween (before trick or treating,) and on Thanksgiving before the "big" meal. There are lots of things you can substitute with if they aren't on hand
- 14 ounces canned pumpkin (1 can)
- 15 ounces chicken broth (1 can)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon curry (optional)
- In a medium saucepan add all ingredients except the cream.
- Stir slowly over a medium heat until it comes to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it is twice the size, and stir into the soup (you can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt, sour cream, or coconut milk.).
- Serve either hot or chilled - and enjoy!
- *If you like a little bit of heat: substitute the sage for ground cumin and add the curry.
- *You can use 2 T of OJ concentrate instead of juice.
- *Honey is a good substitute for the brown sugar.