Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I firmly believe that THIS pumpkin pie recipe will conquer the taste buds of even the most avid pumpkin pie haters! I myself do not care for pumpkin pie, AT ALL. But, the cream cheese makes the pie so light and creamy. I forced myself to give slices away so I wouldn't eat the whole thing. One note, you can make this with pre-made frozen pie dough, or your favorite "from scratch" piecrust recipe. It is suggested that you use two pieces of pie dough, one for the bottom and one to make an extra thick ring around the edge of the piecrust. I wasn't quite sure why, but the extra thickness on the edge of the pie was to probably hold more of the pumpkin filling. When I made this the first time, I could not quite fit the entire filling in the 9" frozen pie shell that I used. I also found that I needed to add about 15 minutes onto the cook time that I listed below, (but I also had something else warming in the oven, so that, I'm sure, is why).
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pieces pre-made pie dough (or your favorite homemade)
- whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer.
- Add the canned pumpkin and beat until combined.
- Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined.
- Add the eggs, milk or half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined.
- Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger, and beat until mixed thoroughly.
- Roll out your pie dough, and place in a 9 inch round pie dish.
- Take your second piece of pie dough and form a large outer crust ring around the edge of the pie.
- Crimp edges.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- (I found that I had a little too much filling for my shell, so fill to where your comfortable or slip a cookie sheet under the pie when you bake it).
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife stuck through the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream!