Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
adapted from a recipe exchange - great, imaginative fall dinner. delicious served with roasted vegetables and crusty bread.
- 1 lb penne, cooked according to package directions
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) canorganic pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste, i liked mine with a kick!)
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- To make the Pumpkin Cream Sauce: In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté onions until soft. Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat. In a blender, puree the onion mixture, pumpkin, tomato paste, milk, nutmeg, and cayenne until smooth.
- Pour into a pot and heat. Add generous amounts of salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan until melted.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- To assemble the pasta: Toss hot pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce (there might be extra sauce), toasted pecans and fresh sage. Dig in!