Recipe by Kaarin
A delicious recipe for pumpkin that's not a dessert! I usually make my own pumpkin puree in the blender with a little water. This dish is mild and warming; my kids like it because it looks like mac and cheese!
Top Review by SarasotaCook
4-5 stars. I did really like the pumpkin, but if anyone knows my cooking, they know I love spice and herbs. So, without the additional seasoning ... I did find it a bit bland. But the overall flavor was very nice.
Here are my changes. Since it was a main dish I did add sausage. I was at my local meat market and they had sage and garlic turkey sausage ... HOW perfect! But a mild Italian sausage would work too.
I also added a medium onion, fresh chopped sage and a few red pepper flakes.
I love romano for a bit of tang which was nice and I also added a bit of the pasta water. And for the pasta; I used penne rigate with the ribs. I find it holds the sauce better than plain penne.
Lots of pepper for me and it was very tasty. All the flavor was there, I just needed a bit more seasoning, but that is just my taste. It was good as is, I just wanted a bit more.
The sausage as others mentioned was a very nice addition. I love turkey or chicken best for a dish like this. I did cut in half moons and browned first.
Very nice dish. Thx
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth, made from bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, shredded
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb rotini pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in butter, over medium heat, until soft, not brown.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, broth, creams and seasonings to taste.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in salted water until al dente.
- Drain pasta and stir into pumpkin, simmering 2-3 minutes more until thick.
- Stir in parsley and garnish with romano, more parsley and pumpkin seeds if desired.