Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best squash soup ever!!!! Easy to make and you can do it low fat. Perfect for Thanksgiving or on a cool autumn night.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces can pumpkin
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth (prefer stock) or 3 cups stock (prefer stock)
- 2 -2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half (can use fat free)
- shredded gruyere cheese and crouton
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, sauté onions in butter and oil for 10 minutes. Add pumpkin, squash, broth or stock, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until squash is very tender. Process mixture until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor. Add half-and-half and reheat slowly over low heat: add remaining salt to taste. Top servings with Gruyere cheese and croutons, if desired.