Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best squash soup ever!!!! Easy to make and you can do it low fat. Perfect for Thanksgiving or on a cool autumn night.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounces can pumpkin
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth (prefer stock) or 3 cups stock (prefer stock)
- 2 -2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half (can use fat free)
- shredded gruyere cheese and crouton
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, sauté onions in butter and oil for 10 minutes. Add pumpkin, squash, broth or stock, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until squash is very tender. Process mixture until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor. Add half-and-half and reheat slowly over low heat: add remaining salt to taste. Top servings with Gruyere cheese and croutons, if desired.