Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From cook book "The Food of the World"
Make and share this Creamy Prawn Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g tiger shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick (5 cm piece)
- 4 cloves
- 7 cardamom pods
- 5 indian bay leaves
- 2 cm gingerroot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 50 g creamed coconut, mixed with
- 2⁄3 cup water or 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- Peel and devein the prawns, leaving the tails intact.
- Put them in a bowl, add the lemon juice, then toss together and leave the for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the prawns under running cold water and pad dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry the onion until lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon, cloves cardamom, bay leaves, ginger and garlic, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chili powder, creamed coconut or coconut milk, and salt, to taste, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the prawns, return to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the prawns are cooked through and the sauce is thick.
Well done Tomoko! I had king prawns so I hunted to find a different recipe for them. I loved this recipe because I always have the ingredients on board. It was incredibly quick to cook, even though I did cook for a little longer than stated to really enhance the flavours. I had some bacon that I chopped up & threw in as well that did not hurt at all. I did have to use ground ginger because I did not have fresh. That also did not hurt. I used a full can of coconut cream so it was not as thick. I served it on steamed rice. My husband thoroughly enjoyed it because it actually had flavour.
Wow! This was amazing!! I added some fresh julienne of ginger and a handfull of coriander, which finished it off perfectly. With some hot buttery naan, it was divine.