Top Review by GinnyP
These are very good! A little too sweet for me perhaps, but just wait till the next time I get a real sweet tooth and I'll bet they'll be just the ticket. I think maybe I didn't keep it hot enough long enough. I wonder if steps 4 and 5 should be switched, or if #5 should read 'Allow to cool...'. Room for improvement upon this probably lies with 'me', since I've never made anything like this before.
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the sugar, salt, milk and butter in a heavy pot.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pecans and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it reaches the soft ball stage (234 to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then stir rapidly until the mixture begins to thicken and lightly coats the pecans.
- Drop by tablespoons onto wax or parchment paper.
- When the pralines have cooled, gently lift from the surface with a knife and store in an airtight container.